Skip to Content

POLICE: Man became unresponsive once taken into custody, no weapons used

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) – One man is dead after police conducted a traffic stop in SE Rochester due to several violations on a public roadway Wednesday night.

Rochester Police said that after the initial traffic stop in the parking lot of 1021 15 Ave. SE, a male driver drove away before completing the traffic stop.

An officer was able to get the vehicle to stop in the same parking lot. The officer attempted to arrest the driver,  but a physical struggle ensued. The officer requested back up and others assisted him on the scene.

According to police, officers were eventually able to detain the suspect and take him into custody. However, once the suspect was in custody, he become unresponsive.

RPD requested assistance from Gold Cross Ambulance and began life-saving measures including CPR and the use of an AED. Life-saving efforts were not successful.

RELATED: One man dead in SE Rochester following police traffic stop

Police reported that the preliminary investigation indicated officers did not use weapons in apprehending the suspect. RPD also noted that a taser is considered a weapon.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating this incident.

Officials said that all officers were wearing body cameras and that all body camera video has been turned over to the BCA.

Officers involved in this case have been placed on administrative leave in accordance with standard operating procedures.

The BCA will release additional information once the initial interviews are complete. The Southern Minnesota Regional Medical Examiner’s Officer will formally identify the body.

This is a developing story. Stay with KTTC NewsCenter for the latest developments. 

PRESS RELEASEOn March 27, 2019, at approximately 2054 hours, an officer with the Rochester Police Department conducted…

Posted by City of Rochester Police Department on Thursday, March 28, 2019

Author Profile Photo


Skip to content