ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) – The Rochester Fire Department responded to a call of a suspicious container with liquid inside that was left inside a theater at Rochester Community and Technical College.
According to the fire department, about 50 people were evacuated and assessed for possible medical situations from exposure to the suspicious liquid or any fumes. Three patients did have symptoms including headache and chest irritation. Those patients were evaluated, but none were transported by ambulance.
The fire department says the container was a water bottle with a small amount of liquid inside, a slight reading of ammonia did come up on their monitors.
The RFD Chemical Assessment Team responded and did further monitoring but found no additional hazards. Crews then searched additional classrooms as a precaution, and no additional hazards were found.
The investigation is now being lead by the Rochester Police Department. People were allowed back inside the building after crews finished their evaluation.