UPDATE: ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC): The Minnesota Department of Transportation has reopened the northbound lanes of Interstate 35 between Albert Lea and Owatonna, but southbound I-35 remains closed along this stretch due to snow drifts and icy conditions. Additionally, southbound I-35 south of Interstate 90 at Albert Lea is open to Iowa. MnDOT will have to temporarily close that portion of southbound I-35 in the coming hours because a vehicle will be removed further along the route in Iowa.
ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) – The Minnesota Department of Transportation issued a release around 2 p.m. Monday stating that I-35 remains closed from Owatonna to the Iowa border and I-90 is closed west of Highway 52 near Rochester to Albert Lea.
The closures come from blowing and drifting snow causing poor driving conditions.
Southeast Minnesota continues with a No Travel Advisory, meaning conditions are poor to impassable.
MnDOT says that motorists are encouraged to stay off the highways while snowplows continue to work.
Other SE Minnesota highways that remain closed include:
- Highway 63 from Lake City to Zumbro Falls
- Highway 56 between Hampton and Dodge Center
- Highway 30 from Rushford to Highway 74
- Highway 30 between New Richland and Blooming Prairie
- Highway 250 between Lanesboro and Highway 30
- Highway 43 south of Rushford to Highway 44
- Highway 218 between Austin and the Iowa border
- Highway 105 between Austin and the Iowa border
- Highway 69 between Albert Lea and the Iowa border
MnDOT said that snowplow operators will do their part to make highways safe and motorists should remember to:
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They also may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow. Don’t drive into a snow cloud
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt
- Turn off the cruise control
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip
- Don’t drive distracted
The latest road conditions map can be found at www.511mn.org.