Building a new high school in Rochester became imperative after a fire on September 1, 1910, destroyed the upper floors of the old Central School.
On October 29, 1910, the cornerstone for this new high school was laid on 2nd Street between 4th and 5th Avenues SW (at the current site of the Ozmun East Building). The newspaper reported that due to construction and crowded site conditions, no special ceremony was held and only members of the Board of Education were in attendance.
Based on the photo taken that day – now stored in the archives at the History Center of Olmsted County- a few others showed up as well. Notably, the cornerstone, made of blue Bedford stone from Indiana quarries, held a time capsule, which contained among other things the official records of the Board of Education, the latest issues of several newspapers, part of the Central School bell, and photos of the Central School fire.