The recent demolition of the Day’s Inn, formerly the Carlton Hotel, in downtown Rochester brings to mind another hotel of the same era that experienced a similar fate.
The Campbell Hotel, once located at 302 Second Avenue SW, was built in 1920 to take advantage of the growing number of visitors to Mayo Clinic.
When it first opened, it had just 45 rooms, which were available for a modest $1 to $3 per day.
A major expansion that included a parking garage and well over 200 rooms was proposed in the late 1970s, but never came to fruition.
The hotel continued to serve guests until late 1998 when it was sold to Mayo Clinic, which tore it down in March of 1999 to be replaced by the Stabile Building.
The Campbell Hotel is shown here in this photos from the History Center of Olmsted County in January 1999 shortly after being sold.